[arm-allstar] Pi4

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 00:26:19 EDT 2019

I might add to this discussion that while eventually the Pi4 will likely be
the only board readily available right now there are still loads of Pi3B+'s
out there for sale and they are perfect boards for Allstar. Microcenter has
Pi3B+'s for $24.95 in store only and Pi4's if you can get them are $35 or
more.

The Pi4 is significantly faster than the Pi3b+ but none of that speed is
necessary for Allstar except in the most critical applications like many
user hubs. Many users is 40-50 direct connections or more. It also
definitely requires a minimum of a good heatsink and fan would also be a
good idea. Expect it to run several degrees warmer than the 3B+. Hopefully
the 3B+ will be available for some time as it is really the ideal one for
Allstar.

The Pi4 would make a great shack desktop computer running Raspien or
Ubuntu, Just get one that has more memory - 2 or 4Gb. It even supports two
monitors and via USBC and an SSD you could access all your files very
fast.  .