[arm-allstar] AARL news feed

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 17:24:49 EDT 2018

There is no howto for that but it really is quite simple.

Download the tar file into the directory you want to run playnews from. I
created a playnews directory under /etc/asterisk/local  -   so you would do
this at the Linux prompt.

cd /etc/asterisk/local
mkdir playnews
cd playnews
wget https://hamvoip.org/downloads/playnews-0.11.tar.gz
tar xvzf playnews-0.11.tar.gz

That's it the file and its needed files are installed.

It has several parameters and ways it can be used. Here are the variations -

/etc/asterisk/local/playnews/playnews-0.11  ARRL|ARN time|NOW node L|G

The vertical bar means or. it is not entered in the command.

So you could specify ARRL or ARN for what you want to play.

A specific time to initiate the playing  24 hour time   HH:MM  or now to
playt immediately.

The node must be a node number on the server you are running playnews on

The last parameter is L for local or G for global.  If you specify L it
plays only on the node you specified and any RF connected to it.  If you
specify G it goes to all connected nodes. If you leave this parameter off
it assumes global.

If you specify the NOW parameter it will create the files immediately and
wait for you to hit any key to start the playing.

Typically you run playnews from a cron that run at least 5 minutes before
the specified time. I play ARRL news on Sundays at 9:01 PM and ARN on
Mondays at 9:01 PM. The cron's run at 8:30 PM and setup all the files. The
actual playing is at 9:01 PM.  Here is an example -

# 1 for Monday
# Weekly playing of ARRL news
30 20 * * 1 /etc/asterisk/local/playnews/playnews-0.12 ARRL 21:01 27225
#
# 0 for Sunday
# Weekly playing on ARN news
30 20 * * 0 /etc/asterisk/local/playnews/playnews-0.12 ARN 21:01 27225

To create a cron at the Linux prompt type

crontab -e

Add the lines carefully after exisitng lines in the file. Do not disturb
any existing lines.

Control X will exit and save.