[arm-allstar] Installing ARRL/ARN Script

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 22:36:13 EST 2018

Mike,

 I never did a howto on that thinking it probably would not be use by that
many. It turns out many are using it. Here is quick howto.

Log in to your server and use the menu item 9 start bash shell to get to
the Linux prompt

cd /etc/asterisk/local

mkdir playnews

cd playnews

wget http://hamvoip.org/downloads/playnews-0.11.tar.gz

tar xvzf playnews-0.11.tar.gz

This will create all the files in this (playnews) directory.

At this point it is ready to go. playnew-0.11 should be executable when
extracted but if for some reason it is now just do -

chmod 750 playnew-0.11

You can look at the script to see examples at the beginning.

less playnews-0.11

You can run it either manually at the command line, set up a DTMF command
to run it through a script or more likely run it in a cron at a specific
time.

Here are some examples -

# Play Amateur Radio Newsline at 9 PM on Sunday (0 day) queue up at 8:30 PM
# to node 40000 globally
30 20 * * 0 /etc/asterisk/local/playnews/playnews-0.11 ARN 21:00 40000

# Play ARRL News at 9 PM on Monday (1 day) queue up at 8:30 PM
# to node 40000 globally
30 20 * * 1 /etc/asterisk/local/playnews/playnews-0.11 ARRL 21:00 40000

Either of these could have an 'L' last parameter to play only locally.

To play right away, you would only do this manually.

# Plays ARRL News NOW to node 40000 locally
/etc/asterisk/local/playnews/playnews-0.11 ARRL NOW 40000 L

When playing now it has a setup time to get and process the file and then
you can hit any key to play.

So the basic command syntax would be -

/etc/asterisk/local/playnews/playnews-0.11 ARRL|ARN xx:xx|NOW <node> L|G

G or global is assumed if no last parameter.

If you have any other questions let me know.