[arm-allstar] Firewall thoughts ---was:Trouble with Supermon

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sat May 19 17:43:10 EST 2018

We've gotten way, WAY off the purpose of this mailing list---support for
HamVoIP/AllStar....So, we should probably rein in this thread.

That being said, yes, I agree that many groups around the world have very
big computers and can apply brute-force plus statistical analysis to crack
many passwords relatively quickly.  But, there are some stark contrasts
that we must remember.

First and foremost: When these groups are brute-forcing a password, they
are able to instantly know if they've succeeded. For example: they obtain
a copy of an Linux/Unix /etc/shadow file and can instantly compare
directly against its contents. In the scenario of an attack against the
sshd, there is a HUGE network latency penalty slowing these tests down,
even if the victim of the attack is on a local LAN! The only solution to
reduce the latency impact is to go massively parallel, with many
simultaneous connections to sshd. In this case, a sshd DoS condition could
be the result and certainly iptables or other rate limiting tools will
help mitigate this type of attack.

Second:  We're not trying to protect World Bank here!! Nobody is going to
spend the money to throw a supercomputer at a RPi3! There will be plenty
of script kiddies, though, running comprehensive dictionary attacks. And,
plenty of users out there still obviously have trivial-to-crack passwords
---if they didn't, even the script kiddies wouldn't waste their time.

Some final food for thought for those (like me) who turn off password
access to sshd and only use PKA keys: What, effectively, is a PKA
public/private key pair???  Simply put, is a very, very complex password
scheme! And, they can potentially be hacked, too, given some agency with
an awfully good reason to need to allocate the resources to the task!

73, David KB4FXC

On Sat, 19 May 2018, "KI7AY via arm-allstar" wrote:

> Just for a little levity, here. UC Berkley could crack a 10-digit
password in a few hours. But they gots GIANT computing power!

73 Jim KI7AY

---