[arm-allstar] Recommended Radio for Node

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Thu May 17 10:33:31 EST 2018

Jerry,

 You can't run most radios in high power on Allstar especially on a busy
connection. Are you running the HP in low power? As far as radios it
depends what your goal is. If it is just a local personal node that you
want to cover your neighborhood then both the  Baofeng 888 and UV82 in low
power work well. If you want to cover a larger area I suggest the Alinco
DRx35 series. They have 6,2,222,440 models and they are very easy to
interface throught a 9 pin D connector on the back. Many of the Yaesu and
Icom radios use a 6 pin din for interfacing but there seems to be less and
less that are offering that. There are probably many older models sitting
around that would work well. Commercial radios are also an option. We do
have programming for many models in our code. See the howto on the
hamvoip.org web page.