[arm-allstar] Firewall thoughts ---was:Trouble with Supermon

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Wed May 16 20:48:52 EST 2018

My opinion is that pre-shared keys for SSH are a great step in the right
direction. But, leaving it on port 22 might still lead to problems. First,
this is still a TCP port, and it can be impacted by protocol-level (level
3 or level 2) attacts. If nothing else, it might lead to a DoS condition.

Second, even with pre-shared keys, the ssh daemon leaks information. For
example, on my system with ssh passwords disabled:

mcgough at david-vb:~$ telnet 192.168.232.111 222
Trying 192.168.232.111...
Connected to 192.168.232.111.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.2

So, with this info, I can rapidly determine that the sshd is present and I
can determine it only seems to allow PSK authentication. So, I change my
attack strategy!

73, David KB4FXC