[arm-allstar] USB Subsystem on RPi Unstable & Problem with LocalPlay

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Mon Mar 26 17:11:40 EST 2018

Hi John,

Lets try to tackle these issues one at the time.

The USB bus issue, with the URI becoming non functional is the first
problem to address. Your comment about power-cycling the USB bus (menu
option 14) is interesting, since the RPi sometimes crashes when you
perform this operation....I highly suspect a power supply issue of some
type. What type of 5V power supply are you using?

Another common power issue is ground loops or faults. The simplest
solution I've found for grounding issues is to supply good ground paths
from the URI to the radio and *ALSO* a ground path from the RPi board /
power supply to the radio.

We're working on a "best practices" guide for RPi power and grounding now.

I'll post some photos of how I've got all my systems setup, too. I've
got RPi3's in some very harsh places and have found reliability to be
better than that of the PC computers the RPi3 boards replaced.

73, David KB4FXC