[arm-allstar] Echolink and Asterisk issues

Mark Szlaga mszlaga at szlaga.net
Thu Mar 1 23:42:05 EST 2018

We are seeing three issues on the WW8GM node (47185) that I have not been
able to find a straight solution for when searching.

1) Echolink randomly drops audio carrier entirely.

While I realize the Echolink module is meant for compatibility, we are
using the module to replace an existing SVXlink node and expand in to
Allstar, with the goal of moving as many nets to utilize Allstar where
possible.

That said, there is one net held on the ALARA conference node that is still
Echolink that we connect in to.

Tonight and on previous occasions we have had instances where the audio
drops.  The connection still shows in Allstar and Echolink, I see the node
updating names as the participants transmit, but no audio.

Every time a drop and reconnect fixes the issue.

The question is, what causes this?  Is this a "known issue" with the
module, or are there workarounds.

If this is new, what debugging can I run to capture the necessary
information to troubleshoot?

2) Ping-pong, bumping, pulsing...  I'v heard it called a number of
different names, but the result is the same...

We have had some issues tuning both the Allstar and Echolink sides when
connected to nets.

NOTE: This issue is ONLY seen during nets with other nodes, not locally or
when we are connected to one node.

Configuration:
Hardware: Motorola Radius 1225
Software: Raspberry Pi3 running the HamVoIP image, updated to latest last
night.
Audio interface: RB_RIM_RC210 from repeater-builder.com
Carrier config: CoS is set to TSQL and repeater only transmits Tone before
courtesy tone during nets.

Why this interface, because the node will be connected to the RC210 at the
main repeater site once the bugs are worked out.

But...  At this point we have RXOnDelay set to 75, with RXAudioDelay set to
7.  This is enough that we aren't having bumps or bouncing, but 1.5 seconds
is a lifetime!

Any thoughts on things to try to reduce this and get a more manageable
delay timing?

3) Last but not least, we do have occasional Asterisk restarts when
connected to Echolink.

We are seeing Asterisk restarts when connected to Echolink nodes.  Allstar
and normal usage does not cause restarts.

What can I do to the system to log these restarts to see why it is doing
this?  I have been letting a console run with the following
debugging/logging:

core set verbose 99
core set debug 99
rpt debug level 7
echolink debug level 7

Unfortunately it seems that when the connection is dropped, no error is
shown on the screen other than the disconnect.

Thoughts?

Thanks to the team.  You have made a great product and the GMARC club is
loving it.  I just want to get the last of the gremlins squashed so they
will love this more!

Regards and 73,
Mark - AC8LT