[arm-allstar] Question to those using Echolink

Don Backstrom - AA7AU z-armallstar at deliberate.net
Thu Mar 1 12:34:02 EST 2018

On Thu 01-Mar-18 08:04, "Doug Crompton via arm-allstar" wrote:
>   Yes,there are several ways to connect back using iax from various devices.
> iaxrpt can be used on any Windows based device and there is an iaxrpt app
> for Android phones. For the Iphone I think the only one to use is zoiper.
> All of these methods are detailed in howto's at the hamvoip.org web page.

	To add a few cautions with Zoiper (which I use occasionally on an
Android phone and a Win7 PC, versions which unfortunately have differing
GUIs):
- Zoiper is dependent on maintaining a reliable network connection;
- Zoiper basically gives you "control-operator" access even if you have
turned off DTMF etc on the radio side;
- Zoiper connections do NOT show up on bubble-charts, etc;
- Zoiper is designed for normal duplex telephone-like conversations, you
must use the MUTE as a reverse PTT - which is easy to forget and leave
an open mike;
- Zoiper tends to want to stay activated on an Android phone, taking
over handling phone connections - to specifically *exit* is good
operating procedure;
- Zoiper requires pre-configured user/pw settings edited into a file,
unlike Echolink which connects you to another Echolink node solely
relying upon your Echolink issued node# etc.

	I only setup Zoiper connections for Control-Operators.

	Being able to use Echolink with phone-based connections is definitely a
two-edged sword. IMO, AllStar is far superior and should always be
preferred, emphasized and tolerated only where/when really necessary
(not just convenient)

	Sorry, I have no experience with IAXRPT.

	HTH,

	- Don - AA7AU