[arm-allstar] Fail over upon loss of internet

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sun Jul 22 16:46:51 EST 2018

Chris,

I'm suspecting you are you wanting to send DTMF commands to another
controller??

You'll need a utility that always runs on each RPi, testing the
quality of the Internet connection. I use smokeping (pacman -S smokeping).

You can setup smokeping to perform certain actions, based on link
performance, etc. Note that you'll also want to configure smokeping to
place its event database over in /tmp or another tmpfs (RAM drive)
filesystem.

Sending DTMF with asterisk/app_rpt is the easy part, of course. Just
something like:  rpt cmd 1999 cop 48 1,2,3,A,4,5,6,B,7,8,9,C,*,0,#,D

73, David KB4FXC

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018, "chris novara via arm-allstar" wrote:

> I’ve been asked to change our club repeater that has a noisy RF link to Allstar as internet is available at our far end tower site.

But, a fail over auto option upon loss of internet is desired.

Can I set up the Pi to send a DTMF command if the internet is lost for more then 30 mins?

Then the reverse - when internet is restored for 30 mins, the Pi sends dtmf to tell the controller to switch back to the Allstar feed.

Since we are using the *73xxxx I know there is some issues with auto retry confusing the LED that Doug helped me
With. Generally it works great though.

Can this be done reliable?

Thank you,

Chris Novara, AB7BS