[arm-allstar] config for split rx/tx

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Tue Jan 2 00:32:20 EST 2018

Hi Dan,

Sounds good! ...In you've got noise issues in the radio audio, look for
ground loops and common-mode (or other) noise coming from the RPi3 power
supply.

Here are some thoughts about the simplex or duplex mode used and VoIP
traffic over the network. First, everything Asterisk/AllStar related is
inherently full-duplex capable at the network layer and this is
independent of the setting of the duplex=[0|1|2|3|4] setting in the
rpt.conf node stanza.

However, even though the network layer is full-duplex, it doesn't mean
there will always be bi-directional audio streams. Rather, it means there
CAN BE bi-directional audio streams. If the COS/CTCSS for a given node is
asserted, there will be an out-bound audio stream from that node to all
immediate neighbors...This equates to an in-bound stream from the
neighbors perspective, of course. Any neighbor node where COS/CTCSS is
asserted will generate an out-bound stream going to all other immediate
neighbors.

Also, I'll mention that neighbor nodes can generate an out-bound stream
via other means, too---such as the app_rpt "playback" command to play an
audio file, etc. Using playback (or other similar commands) will send a
VoIP stream to all connected neighbor nodes.

In a large network, you can have multiple streams going simultaneously.
When listening to the transmitted audio, you'll hear that these streams
get mixed together "conference room" style---like listening to multiple
people doubling on HF SSB, you can hear them all.

So, again, AllStar is very bandwidth efficient, independent of the duplex=
setting. VoIP traffic doesn't flow unless there is an audio stream coming
from the node.

73, David KB4FXC