[arm-allstar] Node with/without radio

Fred Hillhouse fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Thu Feb 22 15:09:26 EST 2018

Hi Doug,

So it seems like my best scenario is:

1. A home server/node.
I don't currently have a ham shack at home, so the main purpose is to
provide a path for others to call me when mobile as long as my mobile node
is connected. From my mobile node, I can connect to my home node, which
subsequently can connect to other nodes.
Does the home server/node need at minimum a radio or radio-less connection
or can it function only to serve my mobile arrangement?

2. A mobile "radio-less" server/node(s).
I rarely venture away from my vehicle while commuting so portability isn't a
primary goal.
The primary node would be microphone/speaker/USB only to minimize overall
equipment.
The secondary node would be a connection to my mobile radio for the rare
times I might venture from my vehicle.  This provides more power, range,
better antenna, etc.
Would it be best to just remove the microphone/speaker/USB and replace it
with a radio/USB? Can this be done while the server/node is running or will
it need a reboot?
I suspect sound levels would be different for each so two nodes might be
best.

3. Future, a deployable radio node.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you!