[arm-allstar] Weather Conditions, Forecasts and Alerts.

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 21:07:24 EST 2018

Steve,

 I doubt we will be doing anything more then there currently is in hamvoip
for weather. You can get voice conditions not forecasts using
weather_conditions.sh and temperature and the current condition using
weather.sh as well as alerts using AutoSky on hamvoip now. There are so
many other ways to get extended forecasts with smartphones and other
devices that it is really nothing more than a novelty to do it on amateur
radio. Legally we cannot rebroadcast other services forecasts so we are
limited to taking text and then using text to speech to broadcast and most
of the free TTS products are less than satisfactory. I think that most
would agree that having a minutes long weather forecast read out in
computer voice is not something they would want on amateur radio especially
with all the other avenues we have today to get that forecast. Most
handhelds can receive the government weather forecast stations.