[arm-allstar] cwid for rf link

M M wa6ilq at outlook.com
Thu Feb 15 13:08:19 EST 2018

I forget the exact working but somewhere in part 97 it says that the
ID must be "clearly known" or some wording like that, and 20wpm or
less.

I use an ID audio frequency that is positioned in the gap between
low group and high group DTMF, around 1075 Hz, to avoid any decode
problems with any downstream DTMF decoders.  Modern decoders
don't have the issues that the older ones had when I picked
that frequency 35 years ago (with clock-motor-driven code
wheels and 6C4 tube audio oscillators) but why screw with
what works?

Then I notch the 1075 Hz out of any link receivers.

I program the ID to be unique per transmitter... for example
"WA6ZSG  1", "WA6ZSG  2", "WA6ZSG  3", etc.  I started doing
that after I had a interference complaint... even the most
dense person can write down the dits and dahs of the last
character sent, especially with a double word gap in there.
And when the complaining person finally tape recorded the
signal is was not a ham radio signal at all.

Lastly, I have the ID at about 2kHz deviation while there
is no channel activity, and if a signal comes in while it
IDs the ID level is dropped but is still clearly audible
if you listen for it.

Mike WA6ILQ