[arm-allstar] node insists on sending CW ID every idtime

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Wed Dec 12 20:42:51 EST 2018

Hi Steve,

You're digging deep in the pot of spaghetti!

The app_rpt ID timer code has never worked quite as many users (including
me!) expect it to--at least when compared to most other hardware
controllers available.

I have a new module that provides a complete rewrite of all the timer
management code. But, it's not ready for release yet.

For now, in your first message, you mentioned that you're using duplex=1
in the rpt.conf node stanza. And, you mentioned this is a repeater?

Please give me a complete (but brief is fine) description of your system
layout?

Thanks,

73, David KB4FXC

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018, "Steve Goldsmith via ARM-allstar" wrote:

> I spent a bit more time looking at this today and it seems that
there’s a couple of things that are not behaving quite as expected with
regard to the id timer.

First, the ider_state (aka Identifier State) seems to be setting on
receive from the rf channel rather than only when the node actually
transmits on an rf channel.  Ie, if I kerchunk an allstar node’s rf
channel, ider_state gets set to “QUEUED FOR CLEANUP” (rpt status
Identifier State: QUEUED FOR CLEANUP).  This makes sense if I am running
a full duplex node and always transmit on an rf channel when I receive.
However, if I am not keying a physical radio it shouldn’t be starting
the id timer as I’m not transmitting on rf, therefore no need to
identify on the rf side.   Seems that the id timer should be tied to when
I transmit, not when I receive.

Second, If I set idtime to 60000 (1 minute) and duplex=0 or 1 (only two i
tested with) and then restart asterisk, the ider_state will get set to
QUEUED FOR CLEANUP when I kerchunk the node.  When idtime is reached it
will set to CLEAN (and if duplex=1 send cw id as expected). However, if
you ignore it for at least 5 minutes, kerchunking the node no longer sets
ider_state to QUEUED FOR CLEANUP, it stays CLEAN until the node transmits
on the rf channel (say in response to *70). It will then set to QUEUED
FOR CLEANUP if kerchunked again, until ignored for 5 minutes and then it
stays CLEAN, so there’s another timer that is interacting with the id
timer.

--
73,
/steve - W1HS