[arm-allstar] accessing Allstar away from the shack

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 23:07:16 EDT 2018

Angelo,

 There are many ways to remotely access your node. It depends if you want
to actually talk or just control it. If you port forward the ssh port of
your Allstar server (Pi) you can access your node for control purposes from
anywhere in the world but use a good ssh (login) password.

You can also use supermon to monitor and control your node remotely. There
is a howto on the hamvoip.org web page on setting that up.

If you want to have voice access it depends where you want to go relative
to your home. You can put up a wider access simplex node - outside antenna
and higher power radio - and have access probably in a 5-10 mile radius of
your home depending on terrain.

You could also use a portable node (many are using the "yellow box node")
and a phone hotspot to have access anywhere you go. This is especially
useful in a mobile situation.

There are two main apps that allow you to access your home Allstar node for
voice remotely. You need to port forward your iax port in this case which
you probably already have done to allow incoming connects.

For an iphone or Android phone there is a program called Zoiper and for the
Android a program called iaxrpt. Both are free downloads from the
respective stores although at the moment it is not clear if iaxrpt is going
to still be available. As of yesterday it was not. Setup details for both
these apps are in howtos at the hamvoip.org website.

Additionally there is an Echolink app for both the iphone and Android that
you could use to connect into the Allstar network or your own node if you
had Echolink setup there. Echolink is available on all hamvoip installs if
you activate it.

There is also an iaxrpt application for Windows and it also works well
under Wine in Linux.

So that gives you  a lot more possibilities and probably more questions.