[arm-allstar] Allstar & WiFi Hotspots - Monthly Cost Guesstimate?

Peter Buckley skierinavon at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 16:42:38 EDT 2018

Allstar Hams - The top of Vail Mountain has no "line of site" top of Mountain to the Valley below.  Site is also just below the level of the mountain top Pine Trees - uWave not an option.  There is a ton of cell towers and Vail Mountain resort communications near by at the Mountain Top.
ERIC:  This is how I'm doing one of my Allstar nodes and at @ 10,000 ft you shouldn't have a problem even at 5.8 GHz.
Pete:  Eric approx. what is your monthly WiFi Hotstop cost?  Who is your cell provider for that Hotspot?

Robert:  Could you do P2P wireless from the mountain to town and piggyback somebodies broadband?
Pete:  Negative, no piggyback options.  That's why were considering a WiFi Hotspot - but need a monthly cost guesstimate.

ERIC: No cell company will Port forward. But you can solve this issue by a reverse ssh tunnel. Better to use p2p if you can afford the initial cost.
Pete:  Eric your above comment a non-issue.  Outbound only connections from top of Vail Mountain (Allstar Node) to our Allstar Server/Hub elsewhere on the Internet.
Outbound (only) Allstar connections - require no port forwarding.  Another major reason I prefer Allstar over IRLP.
Guys - still need some comments on Monthly (WiFi HotSpot - monthly Guesstimate costs) and recommended (by your personal experience) a reliable HotSpot vendor.
Thanks,
-pete  N0ECT