[arm-allstar] Distorted audio.

Mr. Possum (Bill) flatpossum1231 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 21:13:21 EST 2018

Doug,
I have had this recurrent problem on several of my nodes...  Each and every time it has ended up being a corrupted memory card.  I never used to have this problem, but it has popped up in the last year or so, several times.  Take that for what you will...

My main hub node is doing it right now - and when it boots, it is all garbled when announcing the connections.  It's gotten worse over the past week or so.  Every once in a while, it will garble all the audio coming through it as well.  This is the HUB node with a couple of hubs and one 900 MHz repeater hung off of it.

It sounds like Donald Duck being being repeatedly pelted in rapid fire fashion by a Gatling gun full of Nerf bullets...  It's somewhat comical but it is also a pain in the assets...  If you want to hear it - gimme a call sometime and I will reboot the hub node for you and let you listen to it on my cell phone.  You will likely cringe...

The latest trick, (and the reason I know it is about to roll over and die) is the astdb file is getting corrupted once or twice a day and I have to copy a backup file over on top of it for the repeater data to display in Supermon.  WinSCP tells me the file doesn't exist, but it's there in the directory listing, possibly listed as 0 bytes.  Every time it starts doing this on one of my nodes, it's time to stuff in a newly configed memory card...

The card is only a little over 50% used, so it isn't a "disk space" issue...

I'm lazy and busy and have places to go over the next few days - so I haven't gotten around to yanking out the card, taking the entire Texas Repeater Network down and putting a freshly burnt card in there and spending an evening editing config files, installing autosky, fixing my supermon to where it actually works again, editing a rather lengthy crontab, etc. etc. etc...   It's not all that hard - but I have to take the entire network down to do it and I really don't have the time in the next few days....  It can be rather time consuming.

I figure by the time I get back home on Sunday - it will probably given up...  Rolled over and given up the ghost...

Funny thing though, when I take the corrupted cards out and format them on my PC, I can then go ahead and reflash them and reuse them on another RasPi, no sweat....  No corruption...  Well at least not for a good long while anyway.
This showing up on my nodes is a rather random affair...  There doesn't seem to be a "cause" I can put my finger on other than I know it's knackered when the astdb file starts flaking out and my Supermon display gets all hosed up with "someones private node" all over the screen!

I've had this problem several times and it has always been the memory card getting corrupted - the garbled audio is soon followed by astdb corruption...
I always use Sandisk class 10 8GB cards - I bought a BIG "BULK" pack off of Amazon and have a pile of them on the shelf for my Pi's...  (I got a lot of Pi's!)  When I need another one, I always have a few handy.

Just my two cents and my experience - and a little FYI...
Bill - N5MBMwww.texasrepeaternetwork.net