[arm-allstar] question on allstar channel steering

M M wa6ilq at outlook.com
Fri Apr 13 14:10:24 EST 2018

I am setting up channel steering and am pondering*...
(channel selection on a remote radio by way of binary bits)

I currently have a Motorola CDM for 2m, a second one for 220,
and a third one for 440...

Are there any radios other than the GM300 and the Syntor X that
have 5 (or more) channel steering bits?
I really need 20-22 channels on my 2m remote radio...  and would
rather not use two separate VHF CDMs to get there...

I was told by one friend to look at the Kenwood TK-7180, but after
splurging on two discovered that they are (yet another) 4-bit radio...

(yes, two, the second for a second location.... anybody need a really,
really nice 30w radio?  Both of the 7180s I bought were spares for a
transit bus district... one still has the factory vinyl protective sheet
on the display...
Comes with the radio and a mic, no bracket or anything else)
<http://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/lmr/tk-7180h_8180h/spec.html>
I also have one slightly used Astron power supply that is just
right for it.

Also have an extra Motorola CM200 on 438-470 MHz... makes a
great control receiver or 4 channels of channel steering...

* (cue Pinky and The Brain... "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm
pondering?")
(google it if you don't get the joke)

Mike WA6ILQ