[arm-allstar] hamvoip on DIAL?

Jan Timmers jaunti at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 15:28:13 EST 2017

Thanks for that information, David (and Doug).  Nice explanation of the
history and reasons behind hamvoip and Arch Linux.  I currently have my
node running with that combination, but wanted to build another one with
Pi3 and an external Motorola GM300 - I've got all the hardware now, and
ready to take the next step.

While I've used the old reliable "midnight commander" to nose around the
filesystem on the Pi running on my current node, and have spent about 15
minutes looking at the pacman manpage, I have such a long history with
debian that I was drawn to DIAL (for that reason alone).

David, while I can commiserate with you, after reading of your
frustrations, at times, with old or dated packages when the hardware is
new, I am not anywhere near your level of expertise.  I take my hat off to
your efforts to work with the different versions of Linux, at your day
job.  My connection to Linux use was always purely as a hobbyist, from the
earliest versions in the 90's (ie: Yggdrasil, then Slackware and finally to
Debian) - and I developed a renewed interest in Linux when the RaspberryPi
was released for retail sale.

And Doug, thanks for your efforts with hamvoip!  Very satisfied with it as
well.

I'm looking forward to building my next  Allstar node.  Thanks - John -
VE7JBT

--
Regards;
John Timmers