[arm-allstar] New playnews script

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 09:07:43 EST 2017

Bob,

  No mainly because it would break Allstar and most widely connected
systems due to timeouts. The ARRL news runs about 20 minutes and ARN about
30 minutes. There is generally a 3 minute timeout established in the
repeater community and this is also true in most Allstar systems. Timing
variables would need to be changed on the playing node and every connected
node. This is really not practical but if you wanted to do it it would be
easy. Once the file is downloaded just play it. It would eliminate most of
the script but without system timing changes you would hear the first 3-5
minutes and then things would timeout. It is also a courtesy to stop
transmissions periodically to allow for simplex stations to connect and
disconnect.