[arm-allstar] Trouble connecting to nodes at start up

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 11:20:36 EST 2017

Chris,

  You checked quite a few things and that is good but there are a few other
things to check. Make sure you have you are registered. You can run

check_reg.sh

at the Linux prompt.

Then make sure you have the /tmp/rpt_extnodes file and that it has the info
for the node you want to connect to. You can type

grep 40000 /tmp/rpt_extnodes

at the linux prompt, where 40000 is replaced with the node number you want
to check. This will return the routing info for that node or nothing if it
does not exisit.

Also how the system responds when you do a connect tells you a little about
what is going on. If you just get a beep or nothing in response to a
connect it means you have no info for that node and probably no rpt_exnodes
file. If you get a failure to connect it could mean many things but one
could be that the other end does not have node information for you.

I would also say try and run your node wired if you can to see if there is
a difference.

We are about to roll out the DNS node lookup code which should eliminate
many of these problems but until then the rpt_extnodes file must be there
and the node you want to connect to must be listed in it.

Let us know what you find out.