[arm-allstar] Programming Motorola Radios on a hamvoip installation

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sat Nov 18 05:00:23 EST 2017

Hi Jim,

Give that adapter a try and see if it works...Please report your results.

Note that the reason the Genuine FTDI FT232RL adapter is specified is that
programming some old radios, like the Maxtrac, require non-standard serial
data rates---for example: 952 BPS (Bits Per Second) or 7680 BPS. These
oddball serial speeds don't work with most USB-serial adapters, even
including genuine PL2303 adapters. However, real FT232RL chips very
accurately emulate features found in the original PC computer
8250/16450/16550 UART chips, allowing these odd data rates to be
generated.

...SO, this makes a wonderfully simple solution to what is classically a
major challenge!

73, David KB4FXC