[arm-allstar] Echolink Conferences

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Tue Jun 13 11:24:03 EST 2017

Hi Dan,

First, I'll mention that the echolink node designation (like: "-R" or
"-L" or nothing) doesn't matter to the chan_echolink driver, all nodes are
treated the same way by AllStar.

Second, for general info, I'll mention that only ONE instance of
chan_echolink can be used on any running instance of Asterisk, even though
the config file does allow you to attempt to setup multiple echolink nodes
on a single Asterisk instance....By single Asterisk instance, I'm implying
only one copy of Asterisk running on a single device, like a RPi2 or 3
(or PC).

Note that the echolink.conf conference parameter (e.g.: "confmode=yes" or
"confmode=no") is deprecated and does nothing. This parameter was removed
from the source code a long time ago, predating the hamvoip project. All
echolink connections are effectively treated as "confmode=yes".

As for the number of active echolink connections supported, I would think
10+ concurrent connections on a RPi2 should work fine, however I've not
personally tried this. I expect the limiting factor is more likely to
Internet bandwidth, rather than RP2/3 processing power--all echolink
connections use the GSM CODEC, so no Asterisk transcoding is required.
Any time Transcoding is required, that is probably the first limiting
factor for processor horsepower that you'll hit with large numbers of
users. I know several hams are currently running RPi3 boards as hubs and
frequently have 40+ simultaneously connected AllStar nodes with no
problems.

73, David KB4FXC