[arm-allstar] Video example of rfi getting into fob, and my setup.

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Wed Jul 5 18:25:12 EST 2017

Hi Terry,

Try powering the RPi3 from another power source---like temporarily using
a wall-wart plugged into an AC source (or perhaps DC-AC inverter).  Does
the whining noise change?? The reason I'm asking this is that RPi3 power
supply noise *WILL* cause noise in the FOB audio as well.

Also, what happens when the 1225 repeater has a simple whip antenna on the
RX and a small dummy-load on the TX?? ....Even with a dummy load on the
TX you should be able to hear it for several hundred feet.

What happens when you run this setup in another location (like the house)
versus the car?

As already mentioned, I'd be very careful getting any antenna very close
the the FOB, RPi3 or RPi3 power supply. Even 1W of RF can damage these
parts when in extremely close proximity.

I'll mention that I've setup several "backyard" repeaters using a pair of
Baofeng 888 radios and have had no noise issues at all. Here is a photo of
an early prototype, which has no noise:

https://hamvoip.org/hamradio/baofeng888/P1040191.jpg

73, David KB4FXC