[arm-allstar] ssh ver 1.5 error

John Wagner john at n8cd.com
Mon Jan 30 12:30:51 EST 2017

First - nice work Doug, Dave, and anyone else that worked on the image! The
only real issues I had getting it running on a couple nodes were
self-inflicted. That speaks volumes to your attention to detail and level
of testing. Well done guys.

On the SSH/DHCP topic - I don't know if this is related or not... but I
have noticed that the DHCP client on the 1.5 image behaves differently than
on the 1.02 version. I also thought SSH wasn't working on my Pi initially,
but it turns out the Pi was getting a different IP address from my DHCP
server every time the Pi rebooted. So I'd have to go find the Pi on the
network after every reboot. Once I figured out what was going on and found
the new Pi address, SSH to port 222 worked fine.

I haven't grabbed pcaps or dug into logs much yet to see what is going on,
but I will tonight.

I had my Pi reserved in the DHCP server by it's MAC. The Pi would boot, the
DHCP server would show an active lease for the Pi on it's reserved address,
and then another active dynamic lease on a different address for the same
MAC farther up the scope.

I have 19 other DHCP clients on my network that don't do this, some
reserved and some totally dynamic, with a mix of Windows, Linux, MacOS,
iPhones, etc. And the same RasPi2 hardware with the 1.02 image running on
it did not behave this way either. I figured it was just something peculiar
on my setup and just setting a static on the Pi until I had time to figure
it out. FWIW, my DHCP server is on a Juniper SRX210H router/firewall.

 - John, N8CD