[arm-allstar] v1.5rc2 comments on successful install

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sun Jan 29 18:01:50 EST 2017

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate your comments about sourcing the
.bash_profile and the node registration config issue in firsttime.sh.
We'll integrate these changes into an upcoming package release.

73, David KB4FXC

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017, "Roger Bly via arm-allstar" wrote:

> I successfully burned a v1.5rc2 SD from OS X and setup a private node on a RPi3b and unmodified sound Fob to have a portable listen-only box.  In the firsttime setup script I chose not to setup Allstar.  I manually configured rpt.conf for the private node and links link.

Comments on the process:

OS X operating system specific SD card imaging:

1. xz compression utilities are not included on Mac OS X (BSD) by default.  You can download an OS X install package here:
http://tukaani.org/xz/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/macpkg/
It would be nice to have an image compressed with more standard tar/gzip

2. On Mac OS X (BSD), when writing and SD card image, dd -bs=1M  needs to be -bs=1m  (lower case m)

General v1.5 comments:

3. When choosing (9) Start Bash Shell from the admin menu, the .bash_profile is not sourced, so you don’t get any of the nice alias for ls color, etc.   exec command does not source .bash_profile.  You can add the aliases to .bashrc and that will work.

4. I just want bash shell via ssh, so I commented out the exec admin.sh in .bash_profile.  Can run that explicitly if needed.

5. Register — even though I didn’t select Allstar node setup in the firsttime.sh script (chose private node), an Allstar register statement was included in iax.conf.  I commented that out.
register => 1010:@register.allstarlink.org
;register => xxxxx:yyyyyy at register.allstarlink.org

Thanks again to Doug, David, et al on the release.

Regards,
Roger Bly