[arm-allstar] Running HUB on Pi3 questions

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 00:19:52 EST 2017

Chris,

Merry Christmas,

 A Pi can easily support 40-50 direct connections. I have done it. This is
without any radio connections (no USB FOB's).  I do this here in
Philadelphia routinely and I also have Echolink and Broadcastify running.
To do this reliably you should have the Pi in turbo mode (cpu_turbo.sh) and
have heat sinking and some fan cooling on the board. The hub would be run
as a pseudo node (.rxchannel=dahdi/pseudo  in rpt.conf).  Using the
cpu_stats.sh script you can watch the CPU temperature and with heavy

That being said it is never a good idea to have all your eggs in one
basket. Recently I have split off my single hub into two with local
connections on one server and all others on a second server. I also put
broadcastify on a server by itself. Some people like to push things but
having redundancy is important and easily done considering the cheap cost
of Pi's.

On your second question, the definition of a hub to me is a single node
with more than one direct connection to it. So it could be two nodes
connected to one or one hundred nodes connected to one. There is no special
consideration for a hub other than what I pointed out above. No radios and
turbo mode if heavily loaded. Other than that how you configure it is up to
you. Most of the telemetry is meaningless unless you connect to it locally
with iaxrpt or some other non radio means.