[arm-allstar] Echolink Audio Levels

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 23:25:54 EST 2017

Mike,

 Echolink has the two rx and tx gain levels. The default levels at least
for me have always been adequate. Echolink levels are all over the place
and you cannot adjust for one and expect it to be good for someone else on
echolink. You need to set it at a happy medium and the default levels
should be that. Most Echolink users are at computers using a myriad of
input devices and many have there levels set completely wrong. You can't
correct for that with levels at the Allstar end. The important thing is
that the levels do not clip so you want to select the maximum incoming
level you can find and set that to just below the maximum digital level. If
someone comes in lower then so be it. The problem is at their end.

I want to remind everyone that Echolink is NOT Allstar in that both audio
quality and levelling are never going to be as good. It is included in
Allstar as a bridge to Echolink users. When I can I always try to encourage
Echolink users to make the jump and come over to the real voip world of
Allstar.