[arm-allstar] Allstar security justification for local college

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 10:09:19 EST 2017

Laroy,

  What you propose sounds good. Allstar is a relatively secure system when
used properly. The main issue is people using simple passwords. The main
entry point is ssh and once someone gets in they have access to your entire
network and could access other systems where there are poor passwords. If
you don't need remote access don't port forward ssh but in your case I
think it would be necessary.

Don't open any sip or manager ports to the outside or any other ports
besides ssh, iax, and required echolink. Use a secure ssh password. That is
at least 10 characters and mixed case, numerics, and special characters.
Don't give the PW out to more than are necessary and change it regularly.
Don't implement web access. There should not be any Linux issues as we keep
on top of any security problems and would issue an update should one occur.
fail2ban or any program that shows and foils attempted entry would be a
good addition. It would also show them that you are serious about security.