[arm-allstar] diode

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 21:43:35 EST 2017

I will more simply translate that.

The diode allows a signal on the radio side to pull the FOB COS line low
and allows it to go high solely based on the FOB internal pullup. At the
same time it stops any positive voltage (possibly above the FOBS limits)
from entering the FOB.

The CM1xx while running on 3.3 volts its pins are 5V tolerant -

Dvinout Voltage on any Digital Input or Output Pin  –0.3 to +5.5V
Avinout Voltage on any Analog Input or Output Pin  -0.3 to +5.5V

So if you had a 5V or less driving source you could safely eliminated the
diode. The diode can be a problem in some cases where its forward voltage
drop is too high and it does not bring down the input line to the FOB
properly. This is why a Schottky (low forward drop) diode is specified.
This is especially true when the radio does not bring the line down to very
close to 0 volts adding to the problem. That being said make sure the input
voltage from the radio never exceeds the 5 volt TTL level before
eliminating the diode.