[arm-allstar] Hi, I'm new here :-)

David Ruggles thedavidfactor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 18:12:48 EST 2017

Hey all,

I'm David (KN4AON) and I'm a relatively new ham (2/1/17)

I've been in VoIP a long time (10+ years) and Telephony even longer
(started in '99 on an OS/2 based platform) so when I attended David's
(KB4FXC) presentation on Allstar and specifically the BBB and Raspberry Pi
versions at my local ham club (Sampson County Amateur Radio Services) this
past saturday, I went right home and downloaded the code and started
checking it out.

I've got a background in Asterisk: was a committer for a while and even
maintained app_externalivr at one time, so I'm looking forward to digging
into the internals. (Here's one of my commits so you don't think I'm
blowing smoke ;-)
https://github.com/asterisk/asterisk/commit/8d9a12a60ab915e942e54b95ca70f624075d5f4b#diff-843d222a1c93961cb081352dc141c95c
)

I'm running on two BeagleBone Blacks (because already had them on the
shelf) and I understand, that makes me the red-headed step-child in this
relationship ;-) or at least the BeagleBone Blacks are.

My first question: Is the source available anywhere online? (sourceforge,
github, etc, or a private server)

Obviously the BBB version is dated, but in addition the source code
included in that image (/usr/src/utils/asterisk) doesn't seem match the
compiled asterisk that's running on the image. Specifically, when I
recompiled chan_simpleusb, my usb sound card quit working. I traced it down
to the fact that it's idProduct (0x0014) was not defined in the
chan_simpleusb source code. I added it and it started working again, but
since it was working before I replaced chan_simpleusb with my compiled
version, I'm assuming the compiled version and the included source code
version weren't the same.

Looking forward to having fun.

Thanks!

David Ruggles