[arm-allstar] Allstar portable node questionnaire

Roselito de los Reyes tolitski at hotmail.com
Sun May 29 07:34:30 EST 2016

What Allstar are you using and what hardware is it running on? (BBB, Pi2 with adapter, Pi3 direct)
I have both Pi2 and Pi3.

Are you connecting WIFI or wired to your hotspot?
WIFI

What is the type and model of the hotspot device connecting to the cell system (phone, dedicated box, etc.)
iPhone 6S, T-Mobile HotSpots

Who is your provider?  Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc.
T-Mobile, AT&T

What technology (3G, 4G, LTE)
AT&T LTE, 4G

What data plan do you have and how much does it cost?
(example - 10G/$50/month)
Can't answer for the at&t, it was a radio-less node I made for a friend. Another friend uses 3G/$30 monthI have a 10G from T-Mobile that I pay 50/month

If you have done this have you been successful?
I tried tethering from my iPhone 5S and the Pi3 image has not been able to connect to it. However, when I tried doing the exact the same thing with the iPhone 6s, it worked. I didn't bother finding out why as the node was going with that phone anywaysThe mobile hotspots from T-Mobile has been very good in my experience.

If so what problems have you experienced getting it working?
at first, it was trying to figure out how to create the profiles and to autostart it.After that, it was not hard at all.wifi-menu works wonders on setting up the profiles.netctl start <profile>netctl enable <profile> allows it to autoconnect during boot up.
If you have not been able to get it to work do you have ideas on why it does not?

While not necessary for Allstar does your service allow port forwarding that works?
 I have a node that is being hosted on a cloud service (linode) and I make private radioless nodes for friends that would automatically attach to my server or their own nodes at home. So the issue of port forwarding on these mobile node has not been really an issue.

If you have established a mobile node would you have interest to do this in the future?
Pretty much interested and have been the local support for the guys in our little circle.

Would a document explaining how to do this, what works, what does not, be helpful?
I believe so. I think maybe creating a wiki page and allowing other members here access and help build this document would be great.

Comments -I appreciate the time, talent and treasure everybody in your team Doug, specially David has put in. Your leadership on this project has been great.
I do have one thorn on this that I have noticed. Almost every day when I connect, my private node would connect to the one that's hosted and I would be able to hear everyone but would not be able to talk. I would then restart asterisk on my end (astres.sh) and it would work normally.
travelling near high power transmission lines has always been an issue for me as I drive by the 710 freeway here in So Cal. I would then experience a lot of packet loss and jitters but when I am out of that stretch it would operate normally.
My set up is very simple, I have a Raspberry Pi that has a USB extender cable to a USB Fob with a mic and earphones. I would then use the volume down button to transmit and I am operating on full duplex mode duplex=3 in rpt.conf and duplex=1 in simpleusb.conf.

73 Lito de KK6OOS