[arm-allstar] Important wireless info

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Thu Jun 30 20:42:46 EST 2016

It was discovered that the current wireless-setup.sh script in the wireless package will not accept SSID's with spaces. Since many SSID's have spaces especially phone hotspots it is important that you are aware of this.

I have modified the wireless-setup.sh script to accept spaces in SSID's and also accept "open" no passphrase connections.

I realize it can be very aggravating to think you have the SSID and passphrase correct and find out it will not connect. The problem was the script was only taking the first characters before the first space.

If you think you are being effected by this you have two choices. You can change the SSID such that it has no spaces or download the fixed wireless setup script.

With the new script SSID's can have internal white space but no white space at the beginning or end. So an SSID of "This is my WIFI" or "IPhone (2)" would be acceptable but NOT " This is my WIFI "

To get the new script -

cd /root
wget hamvoip.org/downloads/wireless-setup.sh
cp wireless-setup.sh /usr/local/sbin/wireless-setup.sh

Confirm to overwrite the current file.

You might also download -

wget http://hamvoip.org/downloads/show-wpa-sup.sh

and also copy it to /usr/local/sbin

When run - show-wpa-sup.sh  -  shows your current wpa-supplicant file. You can then confirm that you made the entries correctly.

These files should have the right permissions but if not in the directory where they are stored /usr/local/sbin   -

chmod 750 <filename>

The wireless howto and download package will be updated soon. If you have not downloaded the wireless package for the Pi3 please do that first before downloading the above scripts. Once the package is updated you will not need to download these scripts but it will not hurt to do it.

An easy command line way to determine what SSID's are available and there complete text is to execute:

iwlist wlan0 scan | grep ESSID:

This will list all SSID's your Pi3 hears and display them in quotes.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio