[arm-allstar] simpleusb-tune

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sun Jun 19 23:29:18 EST 2016

Bob,

 It certainly seems low but you are only modulating at 3 Khz deviation?

Most people don't have test equipment or access to test equipment. Just use the simpleusb-tune-menu display to set the level from a radio that you know has its deviation set correctly. Talk into the microphone as you normally would and adjust the level to occasionally peak to 6Khz. Use iaxrpt's level meter also. That is a good indication. It should go up to 90% on peaks but not hit the top of the scale.

I have never checked it but I doubt the graphical level meter is that linear.

For a simplex node you don't need test equipment to adjust levels. Use simpleusb-tune-menu and iaxrpt if you have it setup for RX.  Using test equipment for RX tells you little about what the actual radio(s) you are using will look like on the display or actually sound like. Also it does not matter what the TX level is FROM your node radio. As long as it sounds good to you, is not distorted and approximates the level you are hearing from repeaters or other services in your area it is fine.

Typically .1v P-P is more than enough at pin 21. Using a speaker output is not a good idea. First of all it is low impedance and it if effected by the volume control. You always have the possibility of accidentally changing the level. If an external point for high impedance audio is not available the best internal place is the high side of the volume control, a point where the control does not effect the level.

Also connect somewhere and ask how it sounds in relation to others. I would be glad to help if you want to connect to my node. Just let me know. This is NOT an exacting science and with the multitude of transceivers out there every one is going to be a little different. Thus you might have one that is really hot and another that has weak audio. If you use both you will have to set the levels at a happy medium.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio