[arm-allstar] Raspberry pi 3 as HUB server

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Fri Jul 1 10:06:34 EST 2016

Jan,

One of the hardest things for newcomers to understand with Allstar is the server/node concept.

Every PC, Beaglebone Black, Raspberry Pi, etc. is a physical server. A server can have multiple nodes. Servers are setup on paper at allstarlink.org and then nodes are requested and assigned to that server.

At your end you setup the physical server and nodes. You could have multiple servers (computers) each with multiple nodes although it is recommended not to have more than two on a small board.

So nodes require servers to reside on and the map of your servers and nodes is stored on paper at allstarlink.org. This defines your local physical nodes.

There is no real definition for a hub but I suppose you could call any one node with more than one remote node connected to it a hub. A hub often does not but could have a radio directly connected.

There are many using what we call private nodes to connect repeater links or just dedicated communications. If you don't advertise your node to the Allstar status server it essentially would be private but you could go a step further and not register with Allstar at all and setup routing to directly connect two or more nodes.

I run a "hub" without a radio connection that often has 25 or more nodes connected on an Odroid C3 board. It is also running Echolink and sending all audio traffic to Broadcastify. There is no reason why this would not work on a Raspberry Pi especially a model 3. The number of connections on a hub is more a matter of your Internet bandwidth then the computer it is running on.

All images at hamvoip.org support all aspects of  basic "Acid" Allstar with additional features. The V1.02 is the latest version which supports both the Pi 2 and 3. V1.02 is the first beta for V2.0. It has some additional features that will be included in our V2.0 release. We are making so many changes and updates that there will probably be additional V1.xx beta versions before the V2.0 release.

I hope that answers your questions but if not please ask again.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio