[arm-allstar] Hang Time (?) Problem - K5FOY

John wb5nfc at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 16:44:16 EST 2016

Thanks for the guidance, Doug. So far, no joy.

*Summary of problem:*

If Dave is in QSO with another station, when that station stops
transmitting, PTT on his node stays up for 10 seconds after the individual
stops transmitting. Since it is a simplex node, this makes operation
difficult.

*What he has done:*

(1) Checked COS voltage. Changes from .5 to 2.7V upon receipt of a signal.
(2) Tested squelch. Squelch was off, but it WAS working correctly with the
squelch off.  Node is normally in CTCSS operation.
(3) Checked all wiring including connectors and plugs. Shortened wires
where possible, added ferrite chokes.
(4) Turned off all other devices on the wireless network to check for
interference. Tried a different router. Then tried the node with a direct
ethernet connection.

*Other Info (potential clues?)*

If Dave uses the IAX-Rpt client into his node rather than coming in via RF,
everything is fine - no delay.
If he issues *70 for node status the node returns  "repeat only". The node
number is not heard. If he is logged in with the IAX  client, the audio is
heard correctly. The same is true for any command that returns audio. For
instance, if he keys *A1 -  it returns only part of the IP address.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

John