[arm-allstar] Why Arduino?

N7JCT n7jct at aplaceonthe.net
Tue Dec 6 15:21:36 EST 2016

Thanks to everyone for the responses.  I understand now that using the
Arduino is simply a choice and that there is nothing to prevent the use
of the included GPIO.  I'm encouraged to continue on using the Pi GPIO.
Doug's got a great pro/con chart for describing why he's using Arduino
for his particular application, that's pretty cool.

Doug also pointed out that the Arduino requires proper interfacing to
I/O, as does the Pi.  That said, for those going the Arduino route,
consider the Ruggeduino.  It's got all the protection built in so should
make for a very clean implementation.

What I'm doing only requires COR in and PTT out.  So I'm going to stick
with the Pi GPIO for my own use to keep things simple, keep it cheap,
because I can, and because now I can see there is no advantage in using
the Arduino for the simple stuff I'm doing.

Thanks again for explaining it for me everyone.

73

Thor