[arm-allstar] Portable Allstar Node question

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sun Aug 28 23:13:22 EST 2016

Steve,

 The short answer is yes assuming you have that WIFI FOB working and you can set it up with the hotspot you want to use to go portable.

The Pi3 is just easier from the standpoint of not needing the FOB and tying up another USB port. Also I believe that WIFI on the Pi3 does not use the USB interface at all as does the wired connection. So theoretically WIFI on the Pi3 would be more efficient than using a WIFI FOB on previous Pi's.  It also would tie up one less USB port but that is usually not an issue.

We also don't support the myriad of WIFI FOBS that are out there. They may work or they may not. The Pi3 works and has been reliable. No need to get drivers or anything else.

Also don't always assume it is a WIFI problem when a phone hotspot does not work. Some carriers work fine and others have proven problematic. Verizon, T-Mobile among others are know to work while AT&T seems to have problems. We are working on a possible fix for that in the code. It would be nice if they all just worked without any need for VPN's or anything else.

But whatever works for you. As far as Allstar is concerned it does not matter how it connects to the Internet just that it does and can transfer data.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio