[arm-allstar] Receive only node

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sun Aug 28 18:16:41 EST 2016

Matt,

 Remote inputs are fine. You could use a single frequency system using PL as a way of selecting in lieu of a true voter system.  Users would have to be made aware of what the coverage area was and what PL to use in what areas. They would just program their radios with multiple channels with the same frequency and different transmit PL's. The only downside is they couldn't use CTCSS or RX PL unless they could program that separately from the TX PL.

The other consideration when using a simple VOIP transmission system from the remote receiver is delay. They is a finite amount of delay through Allstar and a variable and often unknown amount of delay through the Internet. Receivers in different locations would have different delays and certainly different than the RF input at the repeater. This should not be a problem if you used the above system where a receiver would be selected and used for the entire transmission. If you were rapidly switching receivers to accommodate signal loss the audio would have to be synchronized.

As long as the system would "lock out" other inputs while one was selected All the inputs could be on the assigned input frequency of the repeater with different PL's. Of course you would have to decode these different PL's at the receiver end then select from the valid COS signal at the repeater.
There are a lot of ways to "skin the cat" here. Many remote sites do not have Internet and if you have a line of sight path back to the repeater a wireless link using 2.4 or 5Ghz would be a choice. Ubiquity has some nice products for that. You can put together a link for around $100-$150.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio