[arm-allstar] URI "shuts down"

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Thu Aug 11 10:22:05 EST 2016

This is obviously not normal and a rather rare thing. Things to check are the power supply. Supply spikes or irregularities could cause this as could high RF (HF etc.) fields getting into the wiring or components. Several people I know have had problems with HF stations getting into electronic devices not just Allstar and causing havoc.  

Those two things, dirty power and RF are the major cause of intermittent problems with the Allstar hardware.

What are you using to supply power to the Pi and thus the URI? Are the leads to the URI long? They act as antennas, extra wire should be would in tight circles. Ferrite's over the wiring in and out of the URI and Pi are a good idea. 

One thing to check if you can catch it is to see what error you get when this happens. Open a client session to Asterisk in Linux - asterisk -rvvv - and look for any error messages when it occurs.

Beyond the power and RF which are first choices I would try a different Pi and/or burn a new image.

Lets us know what you find.
73 Doug

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 09:55:51 -0400
To: arm-allstar at hamvoip.org
Subject: [arm-allstar] URI "shuts down"
From: arm-allstar at hamvoip.org
CC: phil at philv.net

I've been struggling with an intermittent issue on my allstar node for a few weeks now and I figured I'd see if anyone else has run into this.  For the most part everything is running perfect, but every now and then my URI will stop working.  I cant find any pattern to when/why this happens and i haven't found any clues in /var/log/asterisk/messages.  When i look at the URI the green heartbeat light has stopped flashing (both lights off).  If i unplug it from the USB port and plug it back in, everything goes back to normal.  Its worth noting that nothing else stops working.  Any connections to other nodes are maintained... the pi is still running and working fine, its just that the radio is no longer working due to the dead URI.
I've swapped the URI out for another one..... same thing.  I've pulled the SD card out of the pi, put it in a new pi ..... same results.  The only thing I have not done yet is replace and reload the SD card, and i am probably going to try that over the weekend. 
Im running the RPi2-3_V1.02beta_Allstar.img release


arm-allstar mailing list
arm-allstar at hamvoip.org

Visit the BBB and RPi2 web page - http://hamvoip.org 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.hamvoip.org/pipermail/arm-allstar/attachments/20160811/d0ae1ded/attachment.html>

More information about the arm-allstar mailing list