[arm-allstar] GPIO control of fan

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Thu Oct 29 15:31:02 EST 2015

Jay,

 In many cases you can just leave the fan run at reduced speed all the time but if you want to control it simply why not just use the PTT line to turn it on. That would be very easy. The PTT (in most cases) goes to ground when active and it would be high not active. The only thing you have to be careful of if you connect the fan directly to the PTT line is the fan voltage should not be more than the open high state of the radios PTT. You could also build a simple keying circuit to start the fan when the PTT went low and eliminate that problem. Most people get way to carried away with fan circuits but if you want to get fancy here is an example -

http://latinovoip.net/allstar-and-the-gpio-fan-script-for-dmk-engineering-uri/
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio