[arm-allstar] Port Forwarding Observation

AD2DX ad2dx at ad2dx.us
Sat May 30 13:58:42 EST 2015

Folks,
Just something to keep in mind if you’re trying to set up port forwarding for an AllStar node. I won’t mention names or callsigns (to keep all things equal), but I was helping a fellow ham in trying to set up port forwarding. It was thought that there was a problem with port forwarding not working when it was set up on an Apple Time Capsule, which is very similar to an Apple AirPort Extreme. The reason why it wasn’t working, is because the Apple Time Capsule was set up in Bridge Mode. In other words, the Apple TC was being used as a Wireless Access Point (WAP), and not a router.

Just a note: When a device is being used as a WAP, that’s not where you want to apply port forwarding. It’s an honest mistake, but it was under the impression that the Apple TC was acting as a router. The Comcast router is where the port forwarding needs to be applied. So I walked him through how to browse into the Comcast Cable Modem. After an initial no-go, power cycling the Modem allowed him to browse in. The default username/password combo of cusadmin/highspeed did not work. He is going to call Comcast to find out if a Comcast tech had changed it from the default, or whether the Cable Modem needs to be reset back to factory. Once that’s done, either he will ask the onsite tech to set up port forwarding (if they will), he’ll try it, or I’ll remote into his computer to browse into the Cable Modem once the Cable Modem issue is fixed.
Thanks ans 73,
Joe AD2DX.
This email communication and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and or proprietary information and is provided for the use of the intended recipient only. Any review, retransmission or dissemination of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please contact the sender and delete this communication and any copies immediately. Thank you.