[arm-allstar] arm-allstar Digest, Vol 12, Issue 51,firewall

gm4upx at gb7jd.co.uk gm4upx at gb7jd.co.uk
Thu May 21 17:18:40 EST 2015

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 21:29:37 +0000
> From: AD2DX <ad2dx at ad2dx.us>
> To: ARM Allstar <arm-allstar at hamvoip.org>
> Subject: Re: [arm-allstar] arm-allstar Digest, Vol 12, Issue 50/netctl
>
> Ian, I'm so used to using a business class firewall for myself and my
> clients (IT guy) that I forget that home class firewalls don't have
> additional ports to use for separate LANs. Separate class C LANs is
> the easiest way to set up your home if you have additional ports on
> the firewall to do this. If you don't, then you get into routing
> issues with two subnet so, meaning, you need a router to route traffic
> between the two subnets.
>
> Also did you see Doug's email about the eth commands on the Pi2 are
> different than the BBB?
>
> 73
> Joe Lauricella - AD2DX
> AD2DX at AD2DX dot US
> (Sent from my iPhone)

Hello Joe,

I'm learning all the time; (old geezer/little knowledge = dangerous !!)
I have a PC as a router behind my ISP's ADSL modem and like to write my
own iptables, yes, I know it's easier to use a " proper " router but I
would miss all the fun and frustration <smile>.

I followed Doug's E_Mail info and I am now getting the address I want,
but, there's always a but isn't there ?, I cannot ssh directly into the
PI2 from my " downstairs " PC although I can ssh directly to the BBB's
so I've got the routing issues that you mention.  It's not a big deal
and a job for another day as I can connect out via the internet from the
PI2.

Regards,

Ian..