[arm-allstar] Echolink Policy

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Thu Jul 30 10:39:17 EST 2015

Since there are so many questions about Echolink both on here and the app_rpt group I thought I would remind everyone that we technically are using Echolink against their policy. This is Allstar and for the most part you should be using Allstar for your connections. Echolink is there as a possible way to occasionally connect users that have no better way to get in. I have it setup on my hub and 90% of the time the connections are from our own Allstar users that don't have a node nearby but have a smartphone and can easily get in on Echolink. The audio quality is noticeably worse than Allstar but it works. This occasional use although against policy is not pushing the envelope too much. So before Echolink admin comes down on us and stops connections altogether lets not abuse what we have. If you have a buddy or group on Echolink you continually connect to try to get them involved in Allstar. It will solve the problem and your connections will be much more pleasurable.

Here is a link to the Echolink policy. I don't write it nor necessarily agree with it but as a private system it is their right to set conditions. In particular see items 4, 11, and 13.

 http://www.echolink.org/access_policies.htm
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio