[arm-allstar] new node difficulty connecting

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Fri Jul 3 12:45:34 EST 2015

At one time we advocated using static IP in the local LAN but since most all routers have DHCP that can be made persistent or reserved that is the better way to go. It still DHCP's for an IP but it always gets the same IP based on the BBB or RPI2's mac address. So when you setup the node you can say no to network setup  and leave it at the default DHCP. Then log into your router and find the listing for the connection from the Allstar node and reserve it. Some routers are a little more cryptic in how they do this. I just did a Comcast router for someone and it was super easy. Verizon is another story!

Once you know the reserved IP address then you can setup port forwarding to 4569 udp and 222 tcp to that IP address which will always stay the same on that LAN.
The advantage of staying DHCP is that you can move the node virtually anywhere and it still works outbound without changing anything.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio