[arm-allstar] Stopping DNS lookup

Cole Cunningham colecaz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 20:46:01 EST 2015

Doug,

I think you confused me, Cole, with Corey.  He helped me with a few
suggestions but he's not the one trying to do something out of the box.

Yes, we are trying to make a completely private network of repeaters, links,
and simplex control radios using your BBB edition.  We have no intention of
registering any of the nodes with Allstar and don't want to interact with it
in any way.  We plan to do our own linking system, likely using something
like the Ubiquiti products, so we want to keep the internet type of IP
addresses.

So that's why I'm trying to get the Allstar DNS refresh function turned off
and the function removed for updating it.  I had planned on listing all the
nodes in rpt.conf, but in exploring the DNS function am now wondering if I
can get it turned off, would it work to make my own node file in
/var/rpt_extnodes format and let the system use it.  That would be helpful
because we potentially could have over 100 nodes, each on a BBB, and it
would be easier to add, subtract, or change node lookups via one file than
mess with rpt.conf and risk breaking something else.

So far in trying to stop the creation of the /tmp/rpt_extnodes file I have
set enable=no in /etc/asterisk/dnsmgr.conf, renamed the rpt_extnodes link in
/var/lib/asterisk, and erased the /tmp/rpt_extnodes file.  But the link and
file keep coming back.  Will you tell me how to stop this?

BTW, this is a project several of us are undertaking for the Arizona
Repeater Association based in Phoenix.  You can check us out at
www.w7ara.org.

Thanks,

Cole, AA7RD