[arm-allstar] Debugging port forwarding

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Fri Feb 27 11:47:23 EST 2015

Dave,

 It is very hard if not impossible to port check a udp port remotely. Port checkers will show erroneous info on udp ports. tcp ports should show correctly on a port checker. You are right in checking a TCP port like http or ssh and see if they work. The BBB has httpd running for lsnodes but if you simply send a web browser to your BBB's local IP address you will get -
THIS IS A TEST !

If you are not using port 80 then make sure you put the port in the url -

Ex - http://192.168.1.100:8080

on the web browser. If you have port 80 (or whatever you have changed it to) forwarded to your BBB anyone on the Internet should also get that by going to your public IP.

You could also setup ssh which defaults to port 222. If you port forward 222 (or whatever you have it set to) anyone on the Internet going to your public IP at that port should get your login. No need to actually login. If you get the login it is working.

You might also check and make sure that both of you have each others node entry in your rpt_extnodes file. It is located in /tmp  - you can grep for the info.

[root at wa3dsp-40961-cm /]# grep 27225 /tmp/rpt_extnodes
27225=radio at 73.30.112.57:4569/27225,73.30.112.57

There should be an entry and the lookup for the distant node will show their public IP address.  You can use this IP info to connect ssh or http.

Another thing you should do is on the end that is NOT receiving the connect be in the Asterisk client - asterisk -rvvv   - when the other node is connecting. If you see nothing then you know it is not getting through. If you see a connect attempt but with errors you can  troubleshoot from there an in that case at least you know it is getting through.

I hope that helps. Some routers can be a problem.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio