[arm-allstar] PL encode/decode

Sam Skolfield kj6qfs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 21:53:29 EST 2015

Hi Robert,
The BBB uses "simpleusb" instead of "usbradio" for a few major reasons, one
of which being CPU resource efficiency.

As you have learned, "simpleusb" does not provide software squelch or CTCSS
functions, among other things. Myself, and many others feel that hardware
squelch and PL decoders work much better.

In a typical "simpleusb" repeater configuration, app_rpt is fed by hardware
COR and CTCSS decode signals from the repeater receiver. If you MSR isn't
configured to provide those signals, you have the option of building or
buying your own squelch board and PL decoder.

For PL encode, if you can't easily do it with the MSR, you will have to
provide another tone source and a resistive mixer to mix it with your TX
audio.

Take a look at the Repeater-Builder AP50 here:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/products/ap-50.html

Hope this helps.

Sam
KJ6QFS