[arm-allstar] Adding GPIO to the BBB using USB

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Wed Feb 4 02:02:16 EST 2015

Here is a nifty project that adds GPIO control to the BBB using USB. I have tested it and it works very well. The current 1.2.1 BBB code does not support board level GPIO in software. While this may be corrected in future code I think this method of doing GPIO certainly needs to be considered. I find it a much cleaner way to control I/O. Rather than running a multitude of wires from the BBB itself you just run one USB cable to a distant box where I/O is controlled. It also has the advantage of being usable on any platform - Windows, Mac, Linux. and easily moved between systems.

http://crompton.com/hamradio/USBtoGPIO/

A link to this page has been included on the hamvoiip.org site.

This all became possible with the recent release of a new FTDI multifunction USB chip that supports serial, SPI, IC2, and GPIO.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio